Sunday, July 19, 2026

The Typewriter Chronicles

 The Typewriter Chronicles

The moody Olympia Splendid 33

I recently got this Olympia Splendid 33 in the mail, it has a mixed keyboard layout with both Spanish and German keys, its very interesting which is why i picked it up for my collection, that and it was fairly cheap on marketplace, so i couldn't resist. It says its been serviced by a typewriter company, so i don't think it was a factory option from whoever owned this machine before me.  

 

 

The only hiccup with it is that the margins seem to be having an issue, so I opened it up to investigate, and for some reason the bell doesn't seem to want to ring as well, which could be a problem related to my findings once I opened it up. Another issue it seems to be having although its not as consistent is that it doesn't seem to enjoy ringing the bell every time, its very moody when it does it or not, I'm not exactly sure how I would go about fixing that issue even though its not major, although I guess neither of these issues are major, the mighty typewriter works almost perfectly. 

 

 

This margin tab came loose and was rattling around in the machine, which explains why the left margin seems to be busted, i cant find a way to put it back without it slipping off so I'm thinking I have to solder it on or something but im not too confident in my skills in that regard so i might ignore it for now. 


 

Another thing i noticed once the machine was open is that this bar (not sure the technical name for it) was loose, seemingly whatever screw or metal link that held it in place became loose from what I'm assuming was too much force at some point, my solution for now is to just not mess with the left margin at all, but i do need to replace that bar with something later on hopefully there's good options for it I'm not too sure.  



Type Sample (Original Ribbon) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 The Typewriter Chronicles The Lost Safari Today I repaired a less than perfect Royal Safari typewriter. At first glance it didn't look ...